- Bonsai, Illustrated Guide to an Ancient Art, Sunset Books, Lane Publishing Co.
- This is, perhaps, the most often recommended book for beginners. Many bonsai enthusiasts started with this basic introduction, which covers just about everything a beginner needs
to know. This has become the de facto standard introductory book.
- Bonsai (RD Handbooks), Harry Tomlinson
- This book is described as "the complete practical guide to the art of bonsai, from growing a single tree from seed to creating a landscape arrangement." This book is great for
beginners for its "hand on" approach. Tomlinson has included an "A-Z of Bonsai species" to provide basic information on over 100 species, and has several sections where you see him actually transform nursery stock into finished trees. His descriptions of methods for styling are clear and well illustrated. An excellent resource for beginners.
- The Complete Book of Bonsai, Harry Tomlinson
- This book is considered one of the best all round beginners books as well. It is packed with information from start to finish, including a species guide that comes in handy often!
- Bonsai: The Complete Guide to Art & Techique, Paul Lesniewicz
- A world-famous expert shows how to grow bonsai, with tips on the practical side of growing as well as illustrations to stimulate creativity. Readers will discover which styles get the best growing results, the essentials of cultivation, and maintaining a bonsai over the years. 150 color illustrations. 8 1/2" x 8 1/8".
- Indoor Bonsai, Paul Lesniewicz
- If you plan on doing any of your bonsai indoors, this book is
highly recommended. Lesniewicz is an authority on bonsai generally,
but this work really excels at documenting the procedures for
(and difficulties of) growing your trees indoors. There is an
extensive list of trees that can be grown indoors with special
attention paid to indoor care (for example, sunlight and exposure
is described in terms such as "place in a bright sunny window
facing south or west." If you plan on indoor bonsai, this
is a great book for you.
- The Living Art of Bonsai: Principles & Techniques of Cultivation & Propagation, Amy Liang
- Amy Liang's book promises a "monumental tribute to bonsai,"
featuring "a huge gallery full-color photographs of some
of the world's most beautiful specimens," and this book
delivers. It is by no means a "picture book" alone.
Liang goes into great detail about the history of bonsai, basic
styles, plant physiology, and training and propagation methods
(among other topics). This work is exhaustive in its treatment.
Everything from picking out tree materials to selecting a pot
to displaying your tree is covered, and everything is beautifully
and expertly illustrated.
- The Simon and Schuster Guide to Bonsai, Gianfranco Giorgi, Victoria Jahn; Paperback
- As a reference work, Simon and Schuster's Guide to Bonsai is first rate. There is
lots of information jammed into this little paperback. Recommended for your bookshelf no matter what you level of experience.
- Bonsai Techniques I, John Yoshio Naka
- Includes all the basic bonsai knowledge for beginners and techniques for the more advanced that are illustrated with 16 full color and 161B&W photographs and 339 drawings. 7 1/4" x 11". 269 pages.
- Bonsai Techniques II, John Yoshio Naka
- Contains 1005 illustrations and special chapters on collecting, styling, displaying bonsai and the history of bonsai pots. 8 1/2" x 11". 442 pages.
- Growing and Displaying Bonsai: A Step-by-Step Guide, Colin Lewis and Neil Sutherland
- 10 1/2" x 10". 400 full-color photos.
- The Bonsai Workshop, Herb L. Gustafson
- For the beginning to intermediate bonsai enthusiast, outlining in straightforward fashion the essentials
of the care, creation, and display of these lovely miniature trees. Contains 402 color and 68 black-and-white illustrations. 8 1/2' x 11". 208 pages.
- Bonsai Focus Magazine
- Bonsai Today and Bonsai Europe have merged to produce Bonsai Focus for $54.95 per year
- Bonsai Clubs International
- Join Online for $40.00 per year. Membership includes "Bonsai Magazine" - six issues per year.
- The American Bonsai Society
- Join online for $40.00 per year. Membership includes "Bonsai Journal" - four issues per year.